FINDING HUMAN CONNECTION
The Internet has connected the entire planet. So why is human connection at an all time low in this age of digital connectivity?
Today’s guest discovered an answer and a solution to the problem. He did it through his own painful experiences. He is a millennial named Gordie Bufton.
Gordie shares his discoveries in his two books, The Connection Effect: An Entrepreneurs’s Playbook to Unlocking the Present Moment, and Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery.
This episode is for people who have lost direction and are ready to put their lives back on track toward happiness and success. It is also for highly successful entrepreneurs who want more success without compromising their quality of life.
These are few of the things you will learn from my conversation with Gordie:
- How the technology that serves you is also robbing your sense of human connection
- The power you gain when you need guidance and you reach out for help
- Why environment is stronger than willpower
- How to simplify your life and dramatically increase your focus
- The meaning of Silent Sunday and how it can reboot and renew you
- How to conquer information overwhelm
- Your life resume vs.your work resume
- How to be a master of technology instead of its slave
BOOKS IN THIS POCAST
Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery by Gordie Bufton
The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life by Jeff Olson – Gordie’s favorite book
The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
The Seven Secrets to Living in Harmony: A Guide to Freeing YOU to Create YOUR Life by Gregory Reece Smith
GORDIE’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“Be the change you want to be in the world.” – Ghandi
As human beings, we all got dreams, goals and aspirations that are important to us and thus, we want to achieve. However, when you are caught in an addiction, you are definitely not fulfilling that.Transformation is crucial to living your dreams. With that, you must face your inner demons, defeat them, then, make positive changes in your life.
Often times, nobody wants to face their inner demons.However, once you make that choice, you won’t regret it. You will come out of the journey stronger and wiser as exhibited by today’s guest, Lori Losch.
Lori’s philosophy in life is someones’s biggest MESS can become their biggest MESSAGE
Lori’s philosophy in life is someones’s biggest MESS can become their biggest MESSage. As for Lori, bulimia was hers. She has fought and conquered this inner demon and she is passionate about sharing her own journey in order to help others through theirs. Through her Rather than Rehab Addiction Recovery coaching, she helps people remember who they really are without the mask of addiction.
In this episode, Lori and I talked about fighting and conquering our inner battles.
You will learn about:
- The inner demons Lori defeated that made her the woman she is today
- Destructive behaviors that often lead to bulimia
- The coffee that Lori drinks every morning to feed her brain and body
- Works of Dr. Gabor Maté that influenced Lori’s
- Why Lori believes she chose her demon and not the other way around
- How having a recovery coach can change a life positively
- Darkest moments as a start of your new and improved life
- The right mindset to have when battling your inner demons
- Learning to let go and trusting that you will be okay
- Similarities of different kinds of addiction
- 3 empowering tips for people who are struggling addiction
- A peek on Lori’s coaching programs
- Small things that give life a deeper sense of purpose
- Brief background on Lori’s best-selling books
QUOTES FROM THIS EPISODE
“All addictions are rooted in anxiety and stress.”
“Statistically, 100% of the time that somebody becomes bulimic, they’ve always started with some kind of restriction.”
“Biology will tramp willpower every single time.”
“The question shouldn’t be ‘Why the addiction?’ because addiction is actually a solution to the pain. The question should be ‘Why the pain?'”
“We have lessons to learn and experience to have.”
“All addiction is to further us along the spiritual path”
“Atheltiscm does go often hand in hand with eating disorders.”
“Different kinds of addictions are all survival tools, until they aren’t.”
“The less we are in that oneness, the more we are in our addiction.”
“Befriend your addiction.”
“Addiction is all about stress.”
“If we can minimize our environmental stress, the more we are well on our way to dealing with our addictions.”
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
Bumbles: … Finds Her Way Home! by Lori Losch
Bumbles: … Saves Naipoki! by Lori Losch
Safe Souls by Lori Losch
Rather Than Rehab by Lori Losch
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo
Loving What Is by Byron Kati
The Soul of Success by Jack Canfield
The Bulletproof Diet by Dave Asprey
The Monster Within by Cynthia McClure
“Treat others how you want to be treated.” – The Golden Rule
Lori’s Website – www.loriliving.com
LINKS AND RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE
Black & White – A Film by James Toback
Brain Octane Oil
The Genius Network Annual Event
Genius Network – The World’s Best Wisdom – Presented By Joe Polish
Dr. Gabor Maté
Being True to You
A Dangerous Story
Leave a Rating or Review
Doing so helps pay this forward by creating more visibility and sharing this with more people. iTunes bases their search results on positive ratings, so it really does help — and it’s easy!
- Click THIS link to go to the podcast main page.
- Click on View in iTunes under the podcast cover artwork.
- Leave a rating or a review (or both) by clicking on Ratings and Review under the podcast name. Thank you so much!
FACING FEAR AND ADVERSITY
Being fearless isn’t the lack of fear. Rather, it is about acknowledging, facing and conquering fears. Fearlessness is being open to the results of the experience whether it be good or bad. There are so many lessons to learn from failure and adversity, but you will not give yourself the chance to grow if you keep yourself safe in what’s known and secure. Overcoming adversity is what makes a leader a great leader.
Today’s guest is a man who harnesses the power of fear. He is an expert on authentic leadership. His highly popular book, The Crucible’s Gift: 5 Lessons from Authentic Leaders Who Thrive in Adversity is empowering people to face what scares them, embrace it, and use it as a stepping stone for leadership. He also delivers this important message in his podcast, Executive After Hours. Get ready for expansion, growth and inspiration from Dr. James Kelley.
In this podcast, Dr. James Kelley reveals how to become and authentic leader.
You will discover:
- Major adversities that helped Dr. Kelley become the man he is today
- How a DUI experience helped him grow
- The power of “flipping” to combat fear.
- Your lizard brain’s dangerous agenda
- How Enlightened Warrior Training Camp changes lives in five days
- How your darkest moment can become your greatest gift
- How life in the Middle East redefined James Kelley’s comfort zone
- Secrets of Dr. Kelley’s Authentic Leadership model
- How to spot your false narratives on happiness and success
- The power of micro-moments of meaning
- How crucible moments can enrich your life
- How thinking about your eulogy can make you a better leader
- The importance of self-compassion
QUOTES FROM THIS EPISODE
“We all have moments. The bigger question is not if we have them but if we are able to reflect on them and find a good in them to expand who we are as human beings.”
“You are allowed to have your pity if you want it but the important thing is not to wallow in it.”
“We are all creatures of our social construction that we’ve been created and raised in.”
“We only know our truth based on the environment that we are raised in.”
“Don’t let fear conquer you. You conquer your fear.”
“Fear is a fundamental factor on many of the choices that we make.”
“The world changes when your mind changes.”
“Somebody always has it worse than you.”
“If you are not evolving, you are dying.”
“When we have adversity, we often don’t know that that moment is transformational.”
“Money doesn’t actually equate to happiness.”
“Authenticity is trying to be a better version of yourself for the greater good of society.”
“Crucible moment is any fundamental moment in your life that forces you to take pause and re-evaluate and fundamentally shift who you are.”
“It’s so hard to take care of yourself. But when you do, it makes it easier to take care of other people.”
“To be right with yourself means you can be right with other people.”
“Do what is right but you don’t have to be right.”
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy by Mo Gawdat
Triggers by Mark Reiter and Marshall Goldsmith
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Conversations Worth Having by Cheri B. Torres and Jacqueline M. Stavros
“Don’t let fear conquer you. Conquer fear.” – Dr. James Kelley
CONTACT DR. JAMES KELLEY
Dr. James Kelly’s Website – www.drjameskelley.com
LINKS AND RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE