Comedy is serious business. It takes courage, imagination, and true grit to make your living as a standup comic.
Kathy Klotz-Guest is a professional comedian. She knows how to laugh it up and how to make others laugh as she goes through life.
Have you ever wondered what kind of person becomes a comic? What makes her tick? What’s the secret to her ability to touch your funny-bone again and again? You’ll get those questions answered, you’ll be entertained, inspired, and, you may learn a few valuable things when you listen to my interview with Kathy.
Here are a few of the empowering highlights in this episode:
- How to make failure your friend
- The value and the power of reframing painful experiences
- The importance of storytelling in life and business
- Improvisation for business people
- Comedy as weaponized social consciousness
- What it means to own your life
- Comedians who inspire Kathy
- How to find and own your unique sense of humor
- The healing power of laughter
- The role of comedy in today’s world
- Much much more…
KATHY’S FAVORITE BOOK
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
KATHY’S FAVORITE QUOTES
“Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.” – Will Rogers
“People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
MEET THE HOLLYWOOD INSIDER
Hollywood is more than a place. It’s a story. Actually, it’s many stories, as many as we can make up in our heads.
Simply put, Hollywood means something different to everyone. Your story depends on whether you live there, you like or loathe celebrity, are outgoing or shy, religious or secular. No two people see the same Hollywood.
Today’s guest, Harry Lowell, is a man who lives and breathes Hollywood. Not the Hollywood of glitz and glamor, but the Hollywood of creative expression, the Hollywood of storytelling.
Harry knew he wanted to tell the kind of stories that live on a screen when he was a kid. Luckily, for him and for us, he never lost his childlike curiosity, excitement, and passion for the world of storytelling.
You will find his story refreshing, inspiring, and revealing about what matters in life and business, about the things that make you feel alive and keep you true to yourself.
Here are some of the highlights of today’s episode:
- Powerful life lessons from Harry Lowell’s dad
- The importance of mentorship
- The ego’s role in your success or failure
- Why you must master your relationship to time
- The real power of teamwork
- How to successfully pitch anything to anyone
- The biggest obstacle to your success
- Powerful branding tips
- Harry’s biggest mistake
- Harry’s greatest achievement
- What it means to be the “eye of the storm”
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis (Harry’s favorite book)
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
Chicago: A Novel by David Mamet
HARRY’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – attributed to Wayne Gretsky, Michael Jordan…others? – Hey, somebody said it.
Instagram – @goodproducer
FINDING HUMAN CONNECTION
The Internet has connected the entire planet. So why is human connection at an all time low in this age of digital connectivity?
Today’s guest discovered an answer and a solution to the problem. He did it through his own painful experiences. He is a millennial named Gordie Bufton.
Gordie shares his discoveries in his two books, The Connection Effect: An Entrepreneurs’s Playbook to Unlocking the Present Moment, and Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery.
This episode is for people who have lost direction and are ready to put their lives back on track toward happiness and success. It is also for highly successful entrepreneurs who want more success without compromising their quality of life.
These are few of the things you will learn from my conversation with Gordie:
- How the technology that serves you is also robbing your sense of human connection
- The power you gain when you need guidance and you reach out for help
- Why environment is stronger than willpower
- How to simplify your life and dramatically increase your focus
- The meaning of Silent Sunday and how it can reboot and renew you
- How to conquer information overwhelm
- Your life resume vs.your work resume
- How to be a master of technology instead of its slave
BOOKS IN THIS POCAST
Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery by Gordie Bufton
The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life by Jeff Olson – Gordie’s favorite book
The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
The Seven Secrets to Living in Harmony: A Guide to Freeing YOU to Create YOUR Life by Gregory Reece Smith
GORDIE’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“Be the change you want to be in the world.” – Ghandi
EMBRACE ALL CHALLENGES
You can run from challenges, or make friends with them. Choose the latter, and you will create your reality. Actually, you always create your reality. When you embrace all challenges, you create the reality you want.
That’s the theme that runs throughout this podcast. It is the theme of Eddie Lorin’s life. Eddie is our featured guest today. He is the creator of a real estate investment trust that allows everyone, yes everyone, to invest profitably in real estate. A person can begin their investment journey with as little as $1,000.
Eddie champions the underdog. Orphaned at seventeen, Eddie achieved success and fulfillment with grit, hard work, and a winner’s mindset. Now, he is passionate about empowering others who want to improve their lives.
You will discover many powerful life lessons and rich nuggets in this podcast. Here are just a few:
- A message of hope and forgiveness from a holocaust survivor
- The power of the Serenity Prayer
- The rich meaning of Impact Investing
- How to create wealth through contribution
- How to develop an abundance mindset
- How to turn blight into light
- Luxurious living on a budget
- Slashing taxes with Opportunity Zones
- Why you should be thankful for what you don’t have
In a nutshell, this conversation with Eddie Lorin is all about self-empowerment. You’ll hear it in Eddie’s words; you’ll feel strongly in his passionate energy; you’ll learn it from our spontaneous dialogue.
Listen to Eddie Lorin’s story if you would love to turn any mountain into a molehill.
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
Radical Forgiveness by Colin Tipping
The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
EDDIE’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“There is never a good time to do a bad deal or a bad time to do a good deal.” – Somebody
SUCCESS & ADVERSITY
What is accidental success, and how is it related to adversity? The answer is fascinating, and it may not be what you expect.
Jeff Hall, today’s guest, has achieved massive success with Overflow Cafe, the company he created to help businesses master the SEO game and achieve high rankings online.
You may be surprised when you learn that his journey took him from one accidental success to another. Each time Jeff developed a new skill, he did it by taking bold action in the face of adversity. He put one foot in front of the other, even when we was stepping into the dark.
WINNING AGAINST THE ODDS
Adversity is relative, so what kind of challenges did Jeff Hall face and overcome? Here are just a few:
- A childhood of abject poverty
- Bites from bird eating spiders and fire ants
- Derision as a student for having only one pair of broken down shoes
- Humiliation for lacking the money to join school outings
DRIVEN BY PAIN
Jeff Hall’s outer world was often very tough. His inner game made him unstoppable, a trait he learned from his remarkable grandmother.
Jeff’s circumstances could have created a powerful victim story for him to live into. Instead, Jeff turned each painful setback into victory.
In this interview, you will learn:
- How Jeff became a resourceful salesman at the age of seven
- How he became a computer wiz without knowing a thing about computers
- How lying about his age took him closer to success
- How the name Overflow Cafe was just another accident
DISASTER TO MASTER
Today, Jeff’s knowledge and skill, and his company’s expertise offer businesses a powerful unfair advantage in our digital marketplace.
Love it or hate it, businesses need the Internet to grow and thrive in the 21st century. A key ingredient to growth online is strong SEO. Jeff and his Overflow Cafe offer you that.
It’s a wonderful ironic twist that a young man who knew nothing about computers became an internationally recognized SEO expert. He literally proved what one of my mentors, David T.S. Wood, often says, “Every master was once a disaster.”
You will find the life lessons and the business savvy in this interview with Jeff Hall eyeopening and highly entertaining.
You may even tweak your own inner game to make you unstoppable in the face of any obstacle.
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
Bold: How to Go Big, Create Wealth and Impact the World by Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler
Total Recall by Arnold Schwarzenegger
JEFF’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” – Zig Ziglar