We all get caught in story loops, but often we don’t know it. In fact, we may not even know what a story loop is.
A story loop is a recurring thought or series of thoughts that play in our heads over and over. It’s like listening to a broken record that’s stuck in one spot.
We experience three different kinds of story loops:
- Obsession – We are preoccupied with something or someone that we have made very important in our minds.
- Resistance – We have recurring unpleasant thoughts that make us feel anxious and upset. We try to make the thoughts go away by fighting them. This makes them even stronger and more dominant.
- Identification – We identify with a a label about us or a belief relating to our self image. Usually, these thoughts are not empowering.
There is a way to free ourselves from the incessant repetition of these loops. It requires us to become observers of the mental stream that constantly flows through our minds.
When you are the observer, you remain detached. Detachment will allow the thoughts to move on and not develop into narratives that control us.
You can become the observer by practicing meditation. It will help you grow into a person who is the storyteller creating an empowering script for your own life.
Whether you choose to meditate or not, make it imperative to master your inner narrative. It is the only way to keep growing and experience deeper levels of life’s richness.
This episode explores the question, “What’s in a name?” Listen and play the name game while you learn some fascinating things about your name and your persona.
We all have a name. Most of us take our names for granted. We don’t think about the stories our names tell to the world.
Robert tells a different story than Bobby. In my case, Louis tells a different story than Louie. Here’s my story about that.
I play a lot of mobsters in movies. I used to go by the name of Louie. And, on many movie sets, people joked around with me, using my name in a casual way. Basically, the name made them treat me, not badly, but in a manner that was sometimes too familiar for my liking.
One day, on a new movie shoot, an assistant director asked if I went by Louie or Louis. I said Louis. What a game changer. People treated me differently. It was as if I had gained a new instant authority.
You’ll discover some eye-opening and entertaining insights in my discussion of some prominent celebrity names. What’s the story and the power behind the chosen names of these people?
- Curtis James Jackson III
- Calvin Cordozar Broadus, Jr.
- O’Shea Jackson, Jr.
- Andre Romelle Young
- Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta
Do you have a name that you like? If not, have you considered the option of changing your name? or, do you just accept that “that’s the way things are?”
There’s much more than entertainment in this episode. There’s a challenge to growth and new self-empowerment. And, it’s fun; it’s the name game.
This episode will empower you to triumph over any of life’s circumstances.
You will hear the true inspiring story of a man who was born into extreme adversity and chose to create an extraordinary life in spite of it.
The man is Johnny Wimbrey. He was raised in a battered women’s shelter. He learned to survive on the street as a fourteen year old drug dealer. He had a rap sheet before he was twenty.
Today, he is an internationally acclaimed speaker, author, coach and team builder to pro athletes, high performing business people, politicians, and media celebrities.
He is also devoted husband, father, and humanitarian who helps relieve suffering worldwide.
You will not only learn and be inspired by what he says. You will also discover how a compelling communicator speaks when you hear and feel his authentic energy.
Here are just a few of the gems in this interview with Johnny Wimbrey, the good hood:
- How a friend’s murder led to Johnny’s redemption
- Why Johnny gave away his gun forever
- How an answered prayer opened the door to happiness and success
- Harsh lessons from the street life that hold the secrets to massive legitimate success
- Why the only thing between you and your dream life could be a label that someone else gave you
- How you can and should become a first generation millionaire
- How eliminating two small everyday words can empower and transform your life
- The magic of surrounding yourself with thinking that out-thinks you
- The real meaning of the word RESPONSIBILITY
JOHNNY’S FAVORITE BOOK
The Book of Proverbs – The Holy Bible
From the Hood to Doing Good by Johnny Wimbrey
JOHNNY’S FAVORITE QUOTES
“Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” – William Arthur Ward
“Surround yourself with thinking that out-thinks you.” – Johnny Wimbrey
It must be pretty widespread to have its own acronym. I’m talking about FOMO, the fear of missing out.
Missing out on what? Anything. You name it. Not having the latest smartphone, tablet, or other mobile device. Not getting in on the prelaunch of a marketing guru’s latest course or product. Missing the deadline for that VIP membership site; hey, who knows when or if it will open again?
We’ve all experienced the fear of missing out to some degree in our lives. After all, this is the digital age when shiny objects pop up out of thin air 24/7 to taunt and entice us.
This episode explores three ways that FOMO can show up to influence our emotions and our actions:
- SHOPPING Fear of Missing Out – This is the classic shiny object syndrome. Usually, this kind of fear stalks us online. We get hooked by an “irresistible offer” for a digital product or course. Can be expensive, but it’s fairly harmless.
- OVERWHELM – This is the fear that constantly reminds us that we “don’t have enough time” to do everything we have to do. It leads us to multitasking, which is a false story about getting things done. Multitasking does not make us more productive; it just robs us of our focus.
- RELATIONSHIP FOMO – This fear is also related to time. Its narrative is that we had better choose a life partner before it’s too late. Many women fall prey to this prompted by the ticking of their biological clocks. The choose less that ideal mates out of fear of remaining barren and alone. Their choices can sometimes lead to a lot of pain and suffering.
The episode also contains a special bonus – an exercise that will prove to you that multitasking is a lie. This easy fun game will also liberate you and instantly make you more productive.
I learned this exercise from a world class marketer, Dean Jackson.
Listen, learn, grow, and prosper.
STAGES OF TRUTH
The philosopher, Arthur Schopenhauer, gave us the concept of the three stages of truth. There’s a debate about whether or not it was Schopenhauer. That’s not what this podcast is about.
This episode explores the brilliant observation that any new truth must pass through three stages before it is fully accepted and embraced by society.
The three stages of truth are:
- Violent Opposition
- Self Evident
It’s fascinating that people will accept something as self evident, and, at that stage, even embrace it and passionately promote it after they violently opposed it. What does that mean?
It means that humans are hardwired to strongly resist change and to make many of their choices irrationally. Most of our decisions are emotionally based and rationally justified. That’s what makes us storytelling machines.
Here are some examples in our world of things that have either passed through or are still going through the three stages of truth.
- The automobile
- The airplane
- Franchise business model
- Network marketing business model
- Alcoholic beverages
Why is it important to understand this phenomenon? Because we tend to do it unconsciously. That can lead to accepting limiting beliefs about life, about our own capabilities, and about what is possible. Unless we question or challenge our beliefs, we cannot discover if they support or harm us.
Today, we are surrounded by persuasive media messages 24/7. Many of those messages are dictating the stories we should live by. And, unknowingly, we accept those stories.
This podcast challenges you to create your stories, your life narratives, by design, and to not accept them by default.
Listen to this episode with an open mind, a sense of adventure and courage, and then take the challenge to question your beliefs and transform your life with an empowering story that you create.