What are universal stories? They are stories that speak to the deepest human needs. Stories that have a strong universal element create empathy and connection.
Business stories that are universal attract and win new clients and customers. This episode teaches you how to harness the element of universality in your business storytelling.
FOUR MOVIES WITH UNIVERSAL STORIES
- Rocky – explores the human need for significance
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial – the need to return home, to belong
- Field of Dreams – the need to dream and believe in our dreams
- Bohemian Rhapsody – the need for individual self expression
UNIVERSAL BUSINESS STORIES
Never make your marketing and sales messages about the greatness of your products and services. All your business storytelling should focus on the needs, desires, and dreams of a central character, which is always the avatar of your target market.
ANTHONY ROBBINS – 6 CORE HUMAN NEEDS
Anthony Robbins created this list of six profound human needs that motivate every choice we make.
- Certainty – the need for security, comfort, and consistency
- Uncertainty – the need for variety, challenges, adventure
- Significance – the need to feel important, needed, wanted, and worthy of love
- Love & Connection – the need to feel connected with and loved by others
- Growth – the need for constant development emotionally, intellectually, and spiritually
- Contribution – the need to give to others
This list is a powerful template to use every time you communicate with your target market. It can transform and enrich your life and business.