YOU ARE A MADE-UP STORY
Your life is make believe. I expect you to deny it and call me crazy. How can your very “real” life be make believe?
How can your dreams, your hopes, your joy, and your pain be make believe?
Bear with me. I’m not saying your life is fake. I’m saying that you and I and everyone else create our lives, our realities, through stories that begin in the imagination and are embellished by our minds. Is that good or bad?
Willie Shakespeare said it best in Hamlet, Act 2, Scene 2, “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.” And our boy, Willie, earned the right to say that. He was so damned good at storytelling!
So, what the hell does any of this have to do with today’s podcast? Everything. Our guest is Dr. Adrian McIntyre, a storytelling master who helps people achieve high performance communication.
Adrian understands that we are all hardwired to tell and love stories. He’s a guy with a heightened self-awareness. He will expand your mind in this podcast episode where you will learn:
- How story is natively human
- Why stories “wake you up” by releasing feel good chemicals in your brain
- The brilliant insight that “story is to humans as water is to fish”
- The simple story structure that will immediately make you a better storyteller
- The relationship between drama and your personal and business stories
- Why you should understand the Hero’s Journey
- How “story listening” gives you greater storytelling power
- Why your weaknesses hold the key to your strength and success
- The importance of discovering your “story-print” (not unlike your fingerprint)
- How story can help you grow by serving the world
- SO MUCH MORE…
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
The War of Art by Steven Pressfield (Adrian’s favorite book)
The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
The Hero’s Journey: The Collected Works of Joseph Campbell by Joseph Campbell
The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell (audio book)
ADRIAN’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“Wisdom begins in wonder.” – Socrates
FREE AUDIOBOOK OF YOUR CHOICE