MEET THE HOLLYWOOD INSIDER
Hollywood is more than a place. It’s a story. Actually, it’s many stories, as many as we can make up in our heads.
Simply put, Hollywood means something different to everyone. Your story depends on whether you live there, you like or loathe celebrity, are outgoing or shy, religious or secular. No two people see the same Hollywood.
Today’s guest, Harry Lowell, is a man who lives and breathes Hollywood. Not the Hollywood of glitz and glamor, but the Hollywood of creative expression, the Hollywood of storytelling.
Harry knew he wanted to tell the kind of stories that live on a screen when he was a kid. Luckily, for him and for us, he never lost his childlike curiosity, excitement, and passion for the world of storytelling.
You will find his story refreshing, inspiring, and revealing about what matters in life and business, about the things that make you feel alive and keep you true to yourself.
Here are some of the highlights of today’s episode:
- Powerful life lessons from Harry Lowell’s dad
- The importance of mentorship
- The ego’s role in your success or failure
- Why you must master your relationship to time
- The real power of teamwork
- How to successfully pitch anything to anyone
- The biggest obstacle to your success
- Powerful branding tips
- Harry’s biggest mistake
- Harry’s greatest achievement
- What it means to be the “eye of the storm”
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis (Harry’s favorite book)
Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss
Chicago: A Novel by David Mamet
HARRY’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take.” – attributed to Wayne Gretsky, Michael Jordan…others? – Hey, somebody said it.
Instagram – @goodproducer
FINDING HUMAN CONNECTION
The Internet has connected the entire planet. So why is human connection at an all time low in this age of digital connectivity?
Today’s guest discovered an answer and a solution to the problem. He did it through his own painful experiences. He is a millennial named Gordie Bufton.
Gordie shares his discoveries in his two books, The Connection Effect: An Entrepreneurs’s Playbook to Unlocking the Present Moment, and Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery.
This episode is for people who have lost direction and are ready to put their lives back on track toward happiness and success. It is also for highly successful entrepreneurs who want more success without compromising their quality of life.
These are few of the things you will learn from my conversation with Gordie:
- How the technology that serves you is also robbing your sense of human connection
- The power you gain when you need guidance and you reach out for help
- Why environment is stronger than willpower
- How to simplify your life and dramatically increase your focus
- The meaning of Silent Sunday and how it can reboot and renew you
- How to conquer information overwhelm
- Your life resume vs.your work resume
- How to be a master of technology instead of its slave
BOOKS IN THIS POCAST
Eluding Reality: A Memoir About Drugs, Psych Wards, and Recovery by Gordie Bufton
The Slight Edge: Secret to a Successful Life by Jeff Olson – Gordie’s favorite book
The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
The Seven Secrets to Living in Harmony: A Guide to Freeing YOU to Create YOUR Life by Gregory Reece Smith
GORDIE’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“Be the change you want to be in the world.” – Ghandi
FACING FEAR AND ADVERSITY
Being fearless isn’t the lack of fear. Rather, it is about acknowledging, facing and conquering fears. Fearlessness is being open to the results of the experience whether it be good or bad. There are so many lessons to learn from failure and adversity, but you will not give yourself the chance to grow if you keep yourself safe in what’s known and secure. Overcoming adversity is what makes a leader a great leader.
Today’s guest is a man who harnesses the power of fear. He is an expert on authentic leadership. His highly popular book, The Crucible’s Gift: 5 Lessons from Authentic Leaders Who Thrive in Adversity is empowering people to face what scares them, embrace it, and use it as a stepping stone for leadership. He also delivers this important message in his podcast, Executive After Hours. Get ready for expansion, growth and inspiration from Dr. James Kelley.
In this podcast, Dr. James Kelley reveals how to become and authentic leader.
You will discover:
- Major adversities that helped Dr. Kelley become the man he is today
- How a DUI experience helped him grow
- The power of “flipping” to combat fear.
- Your lizard brain’s dangerous agenda
- How Enlightened Warrior Training Camp changes lives in five days
- How your darkest moment can become your greatest gift
- How life in the Middle East redefined James Kelley’s comfort zone
- Secrets of Dr. Kelley’s Authentic Leadership model
- How to spot your false narratives on happiness and success
- The power of micro-moments of meaning
- How crucible moments can enrich your life
- How thinking about your eulogy can make you a better leader
- The importance of self-compassion
QUOTES FROM THIS EPISODE
“We all have moments. The bigger question is not if we have them but if we are able to reflect on them and find a good in them to expand who we are as human beings.”
“You are allowed to have your pity if you want it but the important thing is not to wallow in it.”
“We are all creatures of our social construction that we’ve been created and raised in.”
“We only know our truth based on the environment that we are raised in.”
“Don’t let fear conquer you. You conquer your fear.”
“Fear is a fundamental factor on many of the choices that we make.”
“The world changes when your mind changes.”
“Somebody always has it worse than you.”
“If you are not evolving, you are dying.”
“When we have adversity, we often don’t know that that moment is transformational.”
“Money doesn’t actually equate to happiness.”
“Authenticity is trying to be a better version of yourself for the greater good of society.”
“Crucible moment is any fundamental moment in your life that forces you to take pause and re-evaluate and fundamentally shift who you are.”
“It’s so hard to take care of yourself. But when you do, it makes it easier to take care of other people.”
“To be right with yourself means you can be right with other people.”
“Do what is right but you don’t have to be right.”
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
Solve for Happy: Engineer Your Path to Joy by Mo Gawdat
Triggers by Mark Reiter and Marshall Goldsmith
High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
Conversations Worth Having by Cheri B. Torres and Jacqueline M. Stavros
“Don’t let fear conquer you. Conquer fear.” – Dr. James Kelley
CONTACT DR. JAMES KELLEY
Dr. James Kelly’s Website – www.drjameskelley.com
LINKS AND RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE
EMBRACE ALL CHALLENGES
You can run from challenges, or make friends with them. Choose the latter, and you will create your reality. Actually, you always create your reality. When you embrace all challenges, you create the reality you want.
That’s the theme that runs throughout this podcast. It is the theme of Eddie Lorin’s life. Eddie is our featured guest today. He is the creator of a real estate investment trust that allows everyone, yes everyone, to invest profitably in real estate. A person can begin their investment journey with as little as $1,000.
Eddie champions the underdog. Orphaned at seventeen, Eddie achieved success and fulfillment with grit, hard work, and a winner’s mindset. Now, he is passionate about empowering others who want to improve their lives.
You will discover many powerful life lessons and rich nuggets in this podcast. Here are just a few:
- A message of hope and forgiveness from a holocaust survivor
- The power of the Serenity Prayer
- The rich meaning of Impact Investing
- How to create wealth through contribution
- How to develop an abundance mindset
- How to turn blight into light
- Luxurious living on a budget
- Slashing taxes with Opportunity Zones
- Why you should be thankful for what you don’t have
In a nutshell, this conversation with Eddie Lorin is all about self-empowerment. You’ll hear it in Eddie’s words; you’ll feel strongly in his passionate energy; you’ll learn it from our spontaneous dialogue.
Listen to Eddie Lorin’s story if you would love to turn any mountain into a molehill.
BOOKS IN THIS PODCAST
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie
Radical Forgiveness by Colin Tipping
The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday
EDDIE’S FAVORITE QUOTE
“There is never a good time to do a bad deal or a bad time to do a good deal.” – Somebody